Veterans Day 2021 is Thursday, November 11.
It is an annual day to honor the men and women who have served in the United States military.
Veterans Day, which celebrates the service of all military veterans, is sometimes confused with Memorial day, the feast of the end of May which honors those who died during their military service.
Here’s everything you need to know about what’s open and what’s closed on Veterans Day 2021.
Veterans Day is a national and federal holiday.
It’s the eighth of 11 federal holidays in 2021, with Thanksgiving and Christmas to follow.
Veterans Day began in 1926, founded as an annual day to remember all U.S. military veterans, past and present.
However, some deliveries, such as UPS SurePost® and UPS® Mail Innovations, may take an additional business day in transit due to Federal Holiday (USPS), according to the UPS website.
U.S. Postal Service offices will be closed, although self-service kiosks will still be available in some locations for deposits.
Most banks will be closed for Veterans Day.
The following banks should be closed:
Are stores open on Veterans Day 2021?
You can find a full list of open stores here.
Most grocery stores should be open, but some may have reduced hours for the holidays. Buyers should ultimately check with their local supermarket for specific information on opening and closing times, as these can vary by location.
The following large supermarket chains in New Jersey are expected to be open on Veterans Day:
- Acme (7 a.m. – 11 p.m.)
- Aldi (9 am-8pm)
- BJ Wholesale Club (9 a.m. – 10 p.m.)
- Costco (10 am-8:30pm)
- Foodtown (varies by store)
- Lidl (8 am-9pm)
- ShopRite (varies by store)
- Stop and shop (varies by store)
- Trader Joe’s (8 am-9pm)
- Walmart (6 am-11pm)
- Wegman (6 a.m.-12 p.m.)
- Whole foods (8 am-9pm)
We scoured the internet and couldn’t find any real deals for Veterans Day, but you can take advantage of these top five Black Friday sales:
- Amazon: The online retail giant has officially launched its first offers for Black Friday with discounts on expensive items in all categories, including electronics, toys, housewares, cosmetics and clothing.
- Walmart: The big box retailer has launched big business before the holiday shopping event.
- Samsung: The tech giant Latest Smart TV Models Are Now Up To $ 3,500 Off to kick off the holiday shopping season, including the 8K Neo QLED smart TV for 34% off.
- Coach: The famous designer of handbags is holding a Black Friday advance sale in progress where you can get items up to 70% off.
- Journey : The online furniture giant has launched “The big holiday sale” with articles up to 70% discount.
Most restaurants should be open for take-out, delivery, and in-person meals. Customers should check with specific restaurants for exact times and information.
The New York Stock Exchange is open Thursday, November 11.
All Motor Vehicle Commission offices will be closed to observe Veterans Day. In addition, all offices and courts in the State of New Jersey are closed for the holidays.
The next federal holiday is Thanksgiving Day on November 25, followed by Christmas Day on December 25.
For more on the history of Veterans Day, watch the video below:
Our journalism needs your support. Please register today at NJ.com