MAPLEWOOD, NJ – Hello, Maplewood! Let’s start this Friday with everything you need to know happening in town today.
First of all, the weather forecast for the day:
Clear all day. High: 70 Low: 47.
Here are the best stories in Maplewood today:
- Maplewood is one of only 23 towns in NJ to achieve “Main Street” designation and support (Maplewood Patch)
- Dizzy Gillespie Afro-Latin Experience headlining the Free Outdoor Music Festival at Kean University (Broadway World)
- Maplewood Library: Forbidden Books Week: September 26 to October 2 (press release office)
- An abortion rights rally to protest the Texas law is scheduled for Saturday in Westfield (TAInto.net)
- Maplewood Village welcomes Scratch Taco (Instagram)
Today’s Maplewood Daily is brought to you by our friends at Verizon. They are building the fastest 5G network in the country. To find out how 5G will change the lives of you and your community – and gain access to this amazing technology – Click here. And thank you Verizon for sponsoring this community resource in Maplewood!
- Greater New Jersey Chapter of the Alzheimer’s Association: “Join our virtual support group for bilingual caregivers (Spanish / English) on Wednesday, October 6 from 6 to 7 p.m. Registration is required at https://bit.ly/2Y3o1hM or call our 24/7 help desk at 800.272.3900 to secure a spot today. So, sha … “(Facebook)
- Greater New Jersey Chapter of the Alzheimer’s Association: “Thank you to all of the CVS Pharmacy customers who have donated to the Alzheimer’s Association in-store and online! Thanks to you, the fight to end Alzheimer’s disease and all other dementias is stronger. #ENDALZ “(Facebook)
- South Orange-Maplewood Adult School: “Learn the basics so you can finally book this trip to Paris! Yes please! 🇫🇷 🥐 🧑🎨 Register now! Www.somadultschool.org” (Facebook)
- Arts Ed NJ: “@pctidancers Repost from @padiernadanceproject • #PadiernaDanceProject had a wonderful week with the @pctidancers !! These amazing dancers were able to learn and perform” Wings In the Grass “in 4 DAYS !! Can’t wait to see the magic .. . “(Facebook)
- Maplewood Memorial Library: “It’s #BannedBooksWeek and do you recognize the covers of the 10 Most Contested Books of 2020? Check out other banned books we’re celebrating here at the library on our Reader’s Place blog this week https://www.maplewoodlibrary.org / r … “(Facebook)
- Arts Ed NJ: “@creativitea_edu Seventh grade creative arts students take part in a CHOPPED-style art challenge. Students received a box of art supplies and now need to work with their group to create a cohesive piece of art. They can use n ‘ whatever … “(Facebook)
From our sponsors – thank you for supporting the local news!
Alright, all is well for today! See you tomorrow morning for your next update. If you like these newsletters, consider bringing some of your friends and neighbors on board. You can send them this link to subscribe. – Caren Lissner
About me: Hi! I am a long time resident of New Jersey who grew up in Matawan / Aberdeen, Freehold and Old Bridge. I graduated from the University of Pennsylvania in the 1990s and now live in Hoboken. After college, I spent 20 years as a reporter and editor at a Hudson County newspaper chain, and wrote for the Washington Post and Atlantic.com. I’ve also released two novels, one of which has been adapted into a cheesy romantic comedy that’s currently streaming on Netflix (called Carrie Pilby). I believe in the power of local journalism to do so many good in ways big and small. Join me at [email protected]
Got a tip or suggestion for an upcoming Maplewood Daily? Contact [email protected] at any time.