On January 6, 1913, the town of Duvall, located on the hillside that had belonged to the Duvall brothers, was established as a fourth-class town. Francis Duvall had arrived in 1871 and had built a cabin by the river, but was unable to pay the mortgage and had foreclosed on the property. His brother James, a lumberjack, arrived in 1887 and bought the land. James sold the property in 1909 to the Cherry Valley Townsite Company, who used it to relocate the small town of Cherry Valley, which was forced to relocate to accommodate the expanding railroad. The relocated buildings and houses form the core of the New Town of Duvall. When King County voted to dry out in November 1912, a decision that affected unincorporated towns in the county, Duvall called an election on December 30, 1912 to decide on incorporation. The vote is 148 in favor of incorporation, 17 against. Lon C. Brown becomes mayor in landslide. The opposing candidate, JG Miller, gets a vote. Five members of the municipal council and a treasurer are also chosen.
“The city with a great future”
The town of Duvall was established on a property established in 1871 by Francis Duvall, who planted fruit trees on the 180-acre site. However, Francis Duvall struggled to repay his loan and was forced to foreclose on the property. It was then sold to the Port Blakely mill, once the largest sawmill on the west coast. In 1887 his brother James, who worked a forest near Everett, bought the lot and cleared the land with the help of his prize black bulls. James later sent for his wife Annie, a Tulalip Indian, to join him. The couple had four children. Annie died young and James needed to find a stable income. He moved to Arizona and then to the Yukon, where he mined gold. We don’t know if he found any. He returned to Washington in 1909, sold his property to the Cherry Valley Townsite Company, and left the area.
By 1910, the Great Northern and Chicago Railways, Milwaukee, as well as the Puget Sound Railroad, had big plans to expand rail service, but the new rail lines would pass through the nearby town of Cherry Valley. The railroads agreed to relocate existing homes and businesses about half a mile downstream from Duvall’s old homestead. To attract settlers, the Oregon & Washington Development Company announced prizes at $ 25 each, calling Duvall “the city with a great future.” Ads tout the property’s potential value: âWould you buy land if you knew it would double and then triple in value in a matter of months? That’s what we’re bringing to you now: Every land in Duvall will double. in value in a short period of time and some of them will sell in two years for ten times the price we are selling them today … “).
The name Duvall was first officially used in the town’s survey plate of August 31, 1910. A journal, the Monroe Monitor, declared on September 9, 1910, that âthe name chosen honored the picturesque pioneer James Duvall. The new name, according to the To watch, had been selected by the railroads and the Townsite Company and had been approved and accepted by the postal service “(A livable community, 12).
In favor of incorporation
On December 30, 1912, 148 residents of Duvall voted “yes” for incorporation, 17 opposed. Part of the reason for the one-sided results was probably related to the sale of alcohol. In a King County election held on November 5, 1912, residents of the county voted to go âdryâ. Duvall, along with Redmond, Tolt, Enumclaw, and Ravensdale, called for incorporation to avoid the same fate, because “under state law all counties and unincorporated towns and villages are classified as one unit. The towns mentioned voted âwetâ on November 5, but were made âdryâ by the county vote and are now seeking to become independent â(â Grants Redmond’s Plea â). Report on election results, Seattle weather noted that Duvall “decided in favor of the incorporation and the licensed sedan” (“Duvall Goes Wet”).
Residents also elected their first mayor – candy store and billiard room owner Alonzo C. Brown, who received 156 votes; his opponent, JG Miller, received one. Five members of the board were elected: WP Hart, FM Douglas (1878-1943), BM Graham, J. Roy Lucas, railroad agent, and Charles F. Rehm, butcher. AH Boyd was elected treasurer. Duvall was incorporated on January 6, 1913, and held its first city council meeting the following evening in the back room of Mayor Brown’s billiard room.
Alonzo Brown was born in Pennsylvania around 1877 and headed west as a young man to Granite Falls, where he mined silver and gold. He married Petra Lund, a Norwegian immigrant, in 1908, and the couple settled in Duvall in 1911. âLon was a great promoter and civic booster and was always looking for ways to improve and improve the community … Main Street, in front of his store, and began to erect a large building which he donated as an agricultural exhibit for his latest promotion, the Snoqualmie Valley Fair. A bandstand was erected in front of the farm building, and the new Duvall Brass Band began training for the upcoming event, which was scheduled for September 18, 19, and 20, 1913 “(A livable community, 18). City officials were elated when Governor Ernest Lister (1870-1919) visited Duvall during the fair and gave a rousing speech from the bandstand.
One of the city’s earliest newspapers was Citizen Duvall, first published November 4, 1911, by Mable Dufford. As a single woman and journalist, Dufford was a novelty, so much so that when she sold the newspaper in March 1913, the news was covered by Seattle weather: âThe only King County newspaper founded, owned, edited and published by a woman, was sold to David Peacock, of Rouleau, Canada. Two years ago, Miss Mable Duffford founded The Duvall Citizen. six months she married RL Pinkerton but kept the diary until a few days ago “(” Woman Editor Quits “).
By the end of 1913, Duvall was on the rise. The town was home to a variety of businesses, including a livery barn, hair salon, pharmacy, two tailor shops, a bank, a cinema, a blacksmith’s shop, a shingle mill, and the luxurious 18-room Forest Inn. , a three-story Bavarian. style hotel that had cost $ 10,000 to build.
From farmers to hippies
At the turn of the twentieth century, Duvall settled into a quiet existence. From 1920 to 1950, the population remained around 250 people. âNonetheless, Duvall retained his charm. Farmers dealt with bankers who knew their names and lands. Merchants sold on credit. People knew each other and life went on like riverboats that better roads had made obsolete.â Transplant with deep roots “). In 1932, the city elected an all-female council and mayor, Mabel Bourke (1883-1976), who served for two years. The women were commended for planting trees along the five streets from the city.
In the 1960s, young people seeking to return to the land were drawn to the area and by 1980 the population more than tripled. âSince the late 20th century, the city’s pastoral appeal has attracted residents who commute to aviation and tech jobs in nearby communities. The historic Duvall Corridor has helped define an artistic movement that has evolved since the 1970s (“Duvall to Celebrate Centennial”).
In January 2013, many activities were planned to celebrate the city’s centenary. There were official speeches, live music, community booths, children’s activities, and a birthday cake. Residents of the town enjoyed reenactments of Duvall’s past, performed by members of the Cascade Community Theater, in period costumes. A competition was organized to design a century-old logo. The winning design, created by Matthew Fisher, displays the centennial dates above a flowing stream. Around the perimeter of the logo appear elements that have helped define Duvall’s character over the past 100 years: community, family, forestry, music, spirit, environment, agriculture, sports, art, technology and riverboat.
“Buy a lot”, Seattle weather, October 2, 1910, classified section, p. 1; “Duvall: the city with a great future”, Same., October 23, 1910 classified section, p. 2; “Grant the Redmond plea”, Same., December 3, 1912, p 5; “Duvall gets wet” Same., December 31, 1912, p. 8; “Female editor quits”, Same., March 17, 1913, p. 20; Ian Ith, “Duvall: A Transplant with Deep Roots” Same., July 29, 1999 (www.seattletimes.com); Allen Miller and Don Williams, A livable community: Duvall’s story, (Snohomish: Duvall Historical Association, 2007); HistoryLink.org Online Encyclopedia of Washington State History, âDuvall – Thumbnail Historyâ (by Alan J. Stein) http://www.historylink.org (accessed December 13, 2021); “Duvall to celebrate the centenary”, Weekly (Woodinville), October 9, 2012 (https://www.nwnews.com/community/duvall-to-celebrate-centennial/article_5cd2cc61-0519-55d1-a568-ae6948a52d8c.html); Lisa Baumann, “Town of Duvall to Kick Centenary Celebration on Sunday” the patch, January 4, 2013 (https://patch.com/washington/woodinville/city-of-duvall-will-kick-off-centennial-celebration-sunday); âHistory,â About Duvall, City of Duvall website accessed December 13, 2021 (www.duvallwa.gov); âDuvall’s History,â Duvall Chamber of Commerce website accessed December 13, 2021 (www.duvallchamberofcommerce.com/duvalls-history/); “Duvall’s Certificate of Incorporation,” January 6, 1913, Record of Incorporated Cities and Towns, Office of the Secretary of State, Washington State Archives, Olympia.